Tooth implantation, what is it?
Tooth implantation is a method of restoring a lost tooth root with an implant, followed by the installation of a dental crown on it (by connecting them through a special abutment).
The design of a tooth implant consists of two main parts: the implant itself and the abutment.
To put it simply, a dental implant is an artificial root that is installed in the jawbone in place of a missing tooth. First, the implant is placed in the bone tissue, and then an abutment is installed, and a dental crown (ceramic / zirconium / metal-ceramic) is fixed on it.
Often, patients use the phrase "tooth implant" instead of the customary "dental implant" in medical terminology. These terms are identical and applicable in implantology.
Indications for dental implantation
Contraindications for implantation
All contraindications can be divided into two main groups: absolute (implants are not installed) and relative (installation of the implant is possible, but under certain conditions).
- Blood diseases that involve impaired blood clotting
- Malignant neoplasm in the area of implant placement
- Mental disorders
- Autoimmune diseases in the stage of decompensation
- Terminal stage of AIDS
- Oncological diseases (possible after stabilization or remission)
- Chemotherapy and radiation therapy (possible after cessation, not earlier than 1 month)
- Recent extensive surgical interventions associated with significant blood loss (possible after stabilization of blood parameters)
- Acute period of any diseases (or exacerbation of chronic disease)
- History of heart attacks and strokes within the last year (possible when prescribing maintenance therapy by the treating physician)
- Taking blood thinning medications (possible when discontinuing the medication or reducing the dose after consultation with the treating physician)
- Drug addiction and alcoholism (possible, but the likelihood of implant rejection is very high)
- Age under 16 years
- Patients with diabetes who are taking insulin on a regular basis may be eligible
- Diseases associated with impaired calcium metabolism
Ways of implant and crown installation
- Simultaneously installing the implant and crown - one-stage implantation
- First installing the implant, then the crown after a certain period of time - two-stage implantation
Types of tooth implantation
How is the dental implantation procedure performed at iStomatolog in Kiev using the two-stage method of implant installation?
1. Initially, the patient undergoes a computed tomography scan of the jaws. This provides a three-dimensional image of the jaws that the doctor evaluates to determine the type of bone and the location of important anatomical structures (e.g., the inferior alveolar nerve in the lower jaw, which may be damaged if the implant length is improperly chosen).
Using a specialized program, we select the optimal size of the implant: its length and diameter. The diameter is selected based on the width of the alveolar ridge where the implant will be placed. After analyzing the data, we offer the patient several options for implant systems of different costs, with descriptions of their advantages and disadvantages. All systems have a sufficiently high success rate, but Straumann and Nobel implants have the highest success rate and the lowest probability of rejection.
2. Virtual installation of the selected implant in the jaw. Using a planning program, we select the necessary implant manufacturer, type, length, and diameter from the catalog. Then, we place the implant in the jawbone and recheck its location relative to adjacent teeth and anatomical structures. In complex clinical situations, additional virtual prosthetics may be performed. For example, when restoring teeth in edentulous jaws, pre-planning is crucial and allows implants to be placed in the jaw to ensure even distribution of chewing pressure and high aesthetic value.
Note: A 3D image of the jaw is necessary for implant placement; implant planning is not performed using 2D images (e.g., regular X-rays) because they do not allow for the necessary evaluation of bone width and height.
3. The implant itself is installed. This painless procedure is performed under local anesthesia (only the area of the jaw where the surgical intervention is performed is numbed). General anesthesia or sedation may be used for the installation of a large number of implants with accompanying operations or for patients with pathological fear or comorbidities.
- Local anesthesia
- Antiseptic treatment of the oral cavity and the immediate site of implant placement (using a solution of Betadine).
- Incision of the mucosa to provide access to the bone tissue of the alveolar ridge.
- Using an apparatus called a physiodispenser and various drills of different diameters and lengths, a socket is created in the bone for the implant. It is very important to use specialized implantological equipment for working on the bone, which ensures cooling of the bone during the procedure and has specific operating modes.
- The implant is placed in the prepared socket. It should be completely inserted into the bone tissue and covered with a cap. At the same time as the implant is placed, it is possible to perform bone grafting, membrane placement, or PRF clot placement. PRF is fibrin enriched with platelets, obtained from the patient's venous blood after processing in a special centrifuge (the iStomatolog dental clinic uses the DUO centrifuge by Dr. Joseph Choukroun). The presence of a large number of growth factors in PRF clots and membranes improves implant osseointegration, reduces the recovery time of the mucous membrane of the gums and bone tissue, and significantly reduces the likelihood of complications after implantation. This technique is also called plasma lifting and is used for skin rejuvenation.
- Closure of the mucosa over the implanted implant. The threads used may be absorbable, so there is no need to remove them, or non-absorbable, in which case the doctor will advise the patient when to have them removed.
- Final antiseptic treatment of the mucosa and application of a special plaster that provides closure of the incision and, thanks to the active ingredients, has a mild analgesic and antiseptic effect.
Photos "before and after" of tooth implantation
Implantation of two central teeth with installed zirconia crowns.
Implantation of a central tooth with an E.max crown
Request an appointment
Advantages of teeth implantation at iStomatolog
Stages of "turnkey dental implant installation"
Smoking and dental implants
Nicotine, contained in tobacco, contributes to narrowing of blood vessels. As a result, tissue nutrition worsens and metabolic processes slow down. This negatively affects tissue healing after implantation. Therefore, it is recommended to at least limit smoking, and ideally, not to smoke after implant placement.
What types of dental implants are used at the iStomatolog dental clinic?
Full Price list of dental clinic services is available at the following link
Main components of quality dental implantation
The concept of "quality implantation" includes not only the installation of the implant itself, but also the ability to install...
Frequently asked questions about implants
Myths about dental implants and implantation, the most common questions: "Is it an expensive pleasure?" The dental market offers a...
Implantation of Front Teeth
Clinical case A 28-year-old man came to the iStomatolog Center complaining of missing two central upper teeth. The teeth were...
Reviews about iStomatolog
Що мене очікувало в центрі iStomatolog.
1. Відсутність очікування біля кабінету.
2. Відсутність зайвого. Персонал і лікарі тебе не обтяжують. Їх стільки, скільки має бути.
3. Без сумніву професіоналізм. Тебе вислухать, і обов'язково запропонують варіанти лікування. Що безцінно, це те, що тобі в першу чергу будуть пропонувати максимально зберегти свої зуби.
4. Відсутність бажання затягнути процес лікування на рік (якщо у тебе проблема не одного чи двох зубів). Головне, щоб дозволяли працювати ясна (їх стан).
5. Матеріали з якими працюють лікарі. Це виключно японський виробник.
І нарешті результат, який я навіть вже і не очікувала.
Лена, дякую тобі ВЕЛИЧЕЗНЕ за твою роботу. Тобі і твоїй команді.
Всі лікарі уважні, професійні, з щирою турботою про пацієнта. Запам'яталось, як мені років п'ять тому довго і терпляче спасали майже безнадійний зуб, зіпсований в іншій клініці — спасли, стоїть свій зуб, а міг би вже бути імплант.